Last week I started thinking about one of the quilts I want to have completed in May. (One of. Eek.)
I think the pattern in my head will work...I even drew it out on paper. But I really don't want to screw it up, so I decided to do a small test version, and use the result as a quilt to have on hand for small visitors who sleep in the pack and play.
For the test quilt, I used my Kona scraps and cut the pieces to 2 1/2 inches wide, then sewed them all together "mostly randomly" (I tried to keep some distance between same colors, and tried to keep things from getting "too matchy").
For the thicker sections, I cut a few 6 inch swaths from my Kona stash.
Here's the result:
I really love this quilt, but the problem is that I got half way through and realized I hadn't been trimming the 6 inch sections to 5 inches for the sides, and I was therefore not actually testing my pattern. Whoops.
The quilt is currently hanging over my ironing board with the batting, backing, and binding (more 2 1/2 inch Kona scraps), and the big boy really likes talking about all the colors. If I didn't already have fabric purchased for the quilt I want to make for his big boy bed, I'd consider using all solids.
I really hope to get this quilted and bound this week, and then get to work on the next quilt I want to make for someone else. And then maybe get back to all the quilts I am in the process for making for other people. Oh and that other test quilt.
One of these days, maybe I will learn that it is not very productive to have so many wips at once.
Nope, probably not.